Associate Professor in British history
- Migration history
- Gender history
- British history
My research focuses on the history of migration from a gender perspective. I am currently working on the history of colonial training centers for British migrants, in a transdisciplinary approach that combines the history of migration, education, agriculture and science. This project examines the history of social practices through the training of male and female migrants in the metropole and in the colonies in the 19th and 20th centuries. It unveils women’s progressive access to scientific education.
Another research project concerns female migrant letters spanning one hundred years of organized emigration by British female emigration societies (1860-1960).
Education and Academic Positions:
- 2016- : Associate Professor in British History at université de Picardie Jules Verne.
- 2015 : PhD in British history (université Paris Diderot): « (E)migrate to the “New World” (Australia and New Zealand) : female emigration societies and the metropole in Great Britain (1860-1914) ».
Thesis supervisor: Pr. Myriam Boussahba-Bravard.
Thesis summary published in Genre & Histoire, n° 16, Fall 2015: http://genrehistoire.revues.org/2403
- Chair of EU-funded international network Women on the Move COST Action (CA19112) (2020-2024): https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA19112/#tabs|Name:overview
- Series Editor of Anthem Studies in British History (London, Anthem Press) : https://anthempress.com/anthem-studies-in-british-history
- Co-covenor of the British history seminar « In Search of Britain » with Pr Mélanie Torrent: https://searchofbritain.wordpress.com
- 2019 Eccles Center Visiting Fellow (British Library).
Art and migration Revisioning the borders of community Date de publication : 16/06/2021
British Female Emigration Societies and the New World, 1860-1914 Date de publication : 06/10/0217
Marie Ruiz. British Female Emigration Societies and the New World (1860-1914). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017. Préface: Philippa Levine. https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783319501789
Cecilia Menjivar, Marie Ruiz et Immanuel Ness (dirs.). The Oxford Handbook of Migration Crises. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, 2019. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-migration-crises-9780190856908?cc=fr&lang=en&
Marie Ruiz (dir.). International Migrations in the Victorian Era. Leiden: Brill, 2018. https://brill.com/view/book/edcoll/9789004366398/front-4.xml
Marie Ruiz (dir.). Bridging Boundaries in British Migration History: In Memoriam Eric Richards. Londres: Anthem Press, septembre 2020. https://www.anthempress.com/regional-and-area-studies/bridging-boundaries-in-british-migration-history-pdf
Bénédicte Miyamoto et Marie Ruiz (dirs.). Art and Migration. Revisioning the Borders of Community. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2021.