Le séminaire commun du LARCA, ouvert à toutes et tous, portera sur le livre
How Government-Guaranteed Loans Left Generations Drowning in College Debt
(Harvard University Press, 2021)
d’ Elizabeth Tandy Shermer (Loyola University Chicago)
Les discutantes seront Laura CARTER (LARCA) et Esther CYNA (U. Sorbonne Nouvelle)
The untold history of how America’s student-loan program turned the pursuit of higher education into a pathway to poverty.
It didn’t always take thirty years to pay off the cost of a bachelor’s degree. Elizabeth Tandy Shermer untangles the history that brought us here and discovers that the story of skyrocketing college debt is not merely one of good intentions gone wrong. In fact, the federal student loan program was never supposed to make college affordable.
Today 45 million Americans owe more than $1.5 trillion in college debt, with the burdens falling disproportionately on borrowers of color, particularly women. Reformers, meanwhile, have been frustrated by colleges and lenders too rich and powerful to contain. Indentured Students makes clear that these are not unforeseen consequences. The federal student loan system is working as designed.
(Harvard University Press)
Indentured Students — Elizabeth Tandy Shermer | Harvard University Press
- At the Washington Post, read Elizabeth Tandy Shermer on the purposeful policy choices of the 1960s that established the student loan industry rather than truly solving cost problems at colleges and universities—or forcing them to provide genuinely equal opportunities to receive higher education
- Read an Inside Higher Ed Q&A with Shermer
- At the Washington Post, read Shermer on the unfairness and complexity at the heart of the American system of financial aid for higher education
- Read a Women’s Health feature, informed by discussion with Shermer, on the radical anticapitalist history of Labor Day
- At the Washington Post, read Shermer on how the popular fixation on presidents’ first 100 days obscures the subtle and protracted work of policymaking that can take years—even decades—to come to fruition
Organisateurs: Jean-Christian Vinel : et Sylvain-Karl Gosselet :
Lundi 29 novembre 2021
17h – 19h (CET)
Lien zoom :
ID de réunion : 811 3573 7852